Patients who have undergone chemotherapy, radiation and/or surgery may notice
uncomfortable swelling in arm, legs, chest, shoulder or fingers, difficulty fitting into clothing
in one specific area and/or fatigue that they attribute to the treatment. These symptoms may
be a sign of lymphedema, a condition treated with lymphedema therapy.
Who Can Benefit?
• Men and women who are undergoing or who have completed chemotherapy, radiation
and/or cancer-related surgery who are experiencing weakness, imbalance, lack of
endurance and/or pain
• Male and female patients suffering from cancer-related lymphedema
• Women who are post-mastectomy or post-lumpectomy who have lost shoulder function
• Lymphedema Therapy program
• Customized physical therapy to address weakness, imbalance, lack of endurance and/or pain
The Lymphedema Therapy Program
Lymphedema is the build-up of lymph, a fluid the body makes. Lymphedema occurs when
the lymph vessels or nodes that the fluid travels through are missing, damaged or removed.
Patients should talk with their oncologist or primary care physician to determine if they have
symptoms and should see a lymphedema therapist.
How is Lymphedema Diagnosed and Treated?
Lymphedema diagnosis is done without the use of invasive tests. The oncologic physical
therapist reviews previous images and medical history along with performing simple
measurements of swelling and assessing limitations to range of motion. The therapist will
then prescribe a treatment program which often consists of:
• Manual lymphatic drainage, a non-invasive form of skin stretching and massage
• Physical therapy to strengthen weakness, balance activity tolerance and make routine
tasks safer and easier
The certified and talented staff in our Oncologic Physical Therapy Program works closely
with a referring physician to create a customized physical therapy plan to address
imbalance, weakness and/or pain. A strong physical therapy regimen will also help patients
regain stamina and allow them to participate more fully in the activities they love.
Our therapist is STARS Clinician Certified, recognized internationally in oncology